Meet The Client: PANYNJ
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (PANYNJ) is a joint venture between the two states, established in 1921. The organization operates and maintains most of the air, land, sea and rail transportation infrastructure in New York and New Jersey, employing over 7,000 people across multiple locations, including four seaports and seven airports.
The Client’s Goals And Challenges
PANYNJ sought to implement a comprehensive and complete eLearning solution, including over 9,000 online courses and a custom course development service, that would:
- Cover general workforce development requirements
- Meet continuing education unit and professional development hour requirements
- Comply with the requirements for proprietary operations, security, safety, and ethics training.
At the same time, our client also needed to address three challenges:
- Find a more cost-effective and convenient way to deliver training, compared to the conventional live instructor-led, classroom-based classes organized by their HR academy.
- Overcome office consolidation, conflicting schedules and remote work requirements created by the COVID-19 pandemic that made in-person continuing education unit training increasingly less feasible.
- Meet the internally mandated tight deadlines for creating, organizing, scheduling and delivering training to thousands of employees.
To help PANYNJ meet their needs and overcome their challenges, we delivered three solutions:
Deliverable 1: Custom eLearning Courses
- Created courses from scratch with internal subject matter experts and through the customization of existing off-the-shelf courses.
- PANYNJ-specific online training covering internal proprietary information on subjects including:
- Hazard communication (right to know)
- Cyber security
- Commuter safety
- Payment Card Industry Compliance (PCI)
- Contractor information security orientation
- Developed and delivered under a challenging timeline, ahead of schedule.
- The self-paced courses were assigned and completion status was tracked in the HR Academy Learning Management System (LMS) supported by PeopleSoft.
Deliverable 2: A Library of Technical Online eLearning Courses
- Aimed at:
- Land surveyors
- Construction specialists
- Project managers (Certification prep & professional development hours/continuing education units)
- Compliant with the NY & NJ state board requirements for professional development and license renewal.
- Includes over 600 courses pre-approved for CEU’s in NY and NJ and accessible on demand 24/7 from any PC or mobile device
Deliverable 3: An All-Inclusive Library of Workforce Development Online eLearning Resources
- Subjects include:
- Professional safety
- Business and professional development
- End-user software and information technology
- Cyber security
- Software development
- Web development
- Computer literacy
- All courses are available and tracked through the HR Academy Learning Management System (LMS) supported by PeopleSoft.
We achieved the following results over a seven-year period:
- 11,225 trained employees
- 9,016 Continuing Education Unit (CEU) hours earned
- 96% compliance rate with mandated annual training
- 75% reduction in the amount of “time required to train”
- 85% cost saving versus traditional in-person IT classes